Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Happy Birthday Austin!!

Today is Austin's 3rd Birthday and his little sister has tried to steal his thunder!! Austin, Campbell and my mom and I all spent Austin's birthday morning at the ER. Campbell has been sick and for the last 3 days has not been able to keep anything down! So I called the doctor this morning and he sent us to the ER. I was very surprised seeing as how I had made it 3 years without a visit to an ER. They were worried about dehydration and she was starting to show signs of it. Austin on the other hand thought it was very cool to be at the hospital. He talked to all the doctors and was playing doctor in the room. He said " I love coming to the hospital when Cami does not feel well". The Doctor decided that she needed IV fluids so they tried to give her an IV but were unsuccessful. It was one of the worst things as a mom I have had to endure. The nurse tried for about 20 minutes and in 3 different places, but with her wonderful chunkiness and her dehydration they just could not find a vein. So after talking with the doctor and getting her to keep about 4 oz down with a syringe we decided to go home and just keep trying to give her little amounts of fluid very often. So as of now she is doing better and keeping her fluids in. Hopefully she will continue to do that or else it means a trip to Children's to try the IV again, but I don't think we will have to do that.
So Austin's birthday has been very eventfull. I think all in all Austin will say it was a great day! The hospital in the morning and then my dad took him to see the Veggie Tale movie this afternoon. It was his first movie and he told my dad that it was the greatest place he had ever been! So Happy Birthday Austin, You sure have made Mommy and Daddy so happy these first 3 years!!!

2 comments:

mamahenn said...

Julie- It is not letting me l;eave you messages, but I had left one on the other birthday post and then here too. Well we are so sorry about Campbell and wish we could do something for her. We love you all so much and miss you!! Mel

Allison Lewis said...

Oh no!! I'm so sorry that Campbell is sick. We were in the same boat with our oldest two...we made it almost exactly three years before Abigail had to go to the ER, but Jack had already been I think three times (by the time he was one!) I hope that your day gets better and that Campbell feels lots better soon!